Streetlife Youth Homelessness
Date du début: 1 août 2015,
Date de fin: 31 oct. 2016
The Streetlife Trust has been providing support and accommodation for homeless young people and those at risk of homelessness in Blackpool (Lancashire, England) for 30 years. Our organisation uses non-formal and informal practices to provide information, advice and practical support through our daytime drop in centre and crisis night shelter.
For this project we are providing the opportunity for three participants to undertake an EVS youth mobility placement with us for a period of twelve months. The participants will be recruited from our two partner organisations, Asociación Cazalla Intercultural in Spain and 96 Youth Club in Ireland.
The objectives of our project are
• To provide a varied intercultural experience for our target group service users (young homeless) which provides a European dimension to their situation and the choices they make
• To enable EVS volunteers to participate as active members of the team at The Base daytime drop in centre, providing advice and activities
• To enable EVS volunteers to participate as active members of the Emergency night shelter team, providing assessment of need and practical support
• For EVS volunteers to collaborate with staff and external partners developing training and sharing good practice to promote young people’s social inclusion and well-being
• For EVS volunteers to develop innovative and improved youth work practices which actively involve young people to address disadvantage through the development of projects and meaningful activities based on the EVS volunteer's skills and interests
Due to the multiple disadvantages and the chaotic life situations of our service users, the participants that we recruit for this project need to already have a mature and non-judgemental outlook, tolerance of social problems and a desire to help other young people. The ability to cope in a crisis, and someone with diplomatic skills is also beneficial as is a high degree of independence and the ability to thrive on responsibility.
Their volunteering experience will take place across both our sites - the day centre drop in and the night shelter for crisis accommodation. The working methods used will include experiential learning and non-formal education, alongside structured information and training sessions. These are the basic elements of the main activities that the EVS volunteer will be involved in during their 12 month placement.
• Providing advice and support services
• Assessing individual need and referring to specialist services
• Project development - creating and delivering activities, including life skills, confidence, self esteem and creative activities
• Undertaking crisis shelter sleep in shifts
• Supporting homeless young people with practical tasks including cooking and washing clothes
• Building relationships through listening and offering appropriate guidance
• Supporting the team in the delivery of workshops in schools on the prevention of homelessness
The project will result in both short and long terms impacts for the participants, for the three partner organisations involved and our homeless young people using the services here at Streetlife. For the participants the impacts include an increase in knowledge and key competencies, enhanced employability and career prospects and a greater cultural awareness and understanding of social inclusion issues. For the partners, there is the benefits of improved youth work practice taking on board European approaches, a greater understanding of EU policy and practices and recognition of the importance of cultural diversity. For our own youth homeless target group this project is an effective way of challenging any stereotypes and potentially discriminatory views they may have, providing them with an insight into other cultures and subsequently a means of raising their aspirations.
Bonjour, vous êtes sur la plateforme Région Sud Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur dédiée aux programmes thématiques et de coopération territoriale. Une équipe d’experts vous accompagne dans vos recherches de financements.
Contactez la Région Sud Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
Vous pouvez nous écrire en Anglais, Français et Italien