Dignity in Community
Date du début: 1 oct. 2015,
Date de fin: 31 juil. 2016
The theme of the project was based on the concept of active aging, generating activities that could keep the elderly involved in the social life of the community that they belong to. Through this project we wanted to increase the degree of intergenerational socialization by involving the elderly and the youth in joint activities (occupational therapy activities, socializing and leisure activities). The project activities took place in Marasesti town between 01/10/2015 – 31/07/2016 at The Care Home for Elderly “A New Chance” and the volunteers’ stage was from 01/12/2015 to 31/05/2016.
The aim of the project was to increase the interest of the local community of Marasesti town in the elder people from The Care Home for Elderly "A New Chance".
The main objectives of this project were:
1. Involving 4 young volunteers, over a period of 6 months, in occupational therapy activities, socializing and leisure activities, targeted at the elder people aged 60-98 years within The Care Home “A New Chance".
2. By the end of the project, the 4 volunteers, aged 18-30 years, were able to coordinate a team of volunteers to achieve their goals.
3. Improving the volunteers’ skills in managing the relationship with elderly people, by the end of the 6-month stage.
4. By the end of the project, the 4 volunteers were able to write articles published in the “Volunteer Journal" where they described their volunteer experience.
The secondary objectives of the project were:
1. Increasing self-esteem among the 44 elderly people residing in The Care Home, by involving the community members in joint activities.
2. Raising standards of health for the 44 elderly people by involving them in social and recreational activities, thus counteracting the negative effects of loneliness and depression caused by inactivity.
3. Building good practices within the local community by promoting volunteering within the community social organisations.
4. Improving social inclusion of the elderly people from The Care Home "A New Chance".
We considered it was necessary to create a project to promote activities addressed to the elderly in The Care Home that could arouse curiosity in the local community.
The project proposal favored the involvement of four volunteers from Italy, aged 24-27 years. They were young people willing to spend time with elder people, patient, empathetic, and eager to learn new things. Through this project we contributed to the formation of kind, attentive persons, sensitive to the problems of elder people, respectful of fundamental democratic values such as active participation in community life.
EVS volunteers will participate in daily activities (occupational therapy, sociotherapy and leisure activities), contributing with innovative approaches to these activities that also involved members of the local community.
The role of the volunteers was: to collaborate with local institutions and community members in order to implement joint activities; support in coordinating local volunteers willing to get involved in activities with the elderly from The Care Home; get involved together with local community members in occupational therapy activities, socializing and leisure activities, targeted at the elder people.
We used the following non-formal education methods: roundtable, debate, synthesis, energizers, brainstorming, open space, teamwork, photo-voice, living library, in order to stimulate critical thinking and "do-it-yourself" attitude, "learning by doing". Volunteers will develop entrepreneurial skills, practical skills (learning by doing), skills in managing the relationship with elderly people, they will have new opportunities to increase self-awareness and self-confidence.
Volunteers had the opportunity to develop attitudes of tolerance, acceptance, empathy, solidarity and to enforce accountability in decision-making.
By participating in this project, we believe that the 4 volunteers developed certain life skills and transversal key competences useful for their personal and professional future. This volunteering experience contributed to a personal development process that could facilitate their insertion in the labor market.
These activities also contributed to increasing the degree of socialization of the elderly from the Care Home and establishing close links with the community members, promoting the concept of active aging, volunteering and improving social inclusion of the elderly.
Bonjour, vous êtes sur la plateforme Région Sud Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur dédiée aux programmes thématiques et de coopération territoriale. Une équipe d’experts vous accompagne dans vos recherches de financements.
Contactez la Région Sud Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
Vous pouvez nous écrire en Anglais, Français et Italien