The present call for proposals is subject to the availability of the funds after the adoption of the budget for 2018 by the budgetary authority.
1. OBJECTIVES AND DESCRIPTION
This notice is based on the Regulation No 1295/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11/12/2013 on establishing the Creative Europe Programme (2014-2020) and its corrigendum of 27/06/20141.
Within the field of reinforcing the European audiovisual sector's capacity to operate transnationally and internationally, one of the priorities of the MEDIA Sub-programme is to:
increase the capacity of audiovisual operators to develop European audiovisual works with a potential to
circulate in the Union and beyond, and to facilitate European and international co-production, including with television broadcasters.
The MEDIA Sub-programme shall provide support for:
the development of European audiovisual works, in particular films and television works such as fiction, documentaries, children’s and animated films, as well as interactive works such as videogames and multimedia with enhanced cross-border circulation potential;
1 Published in the Official Journal of the European Union on the 20/12/2013 (OJ L347/221) and corrigendum of 27/06/2014 (OJ L189/260).
2. ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS
This notice of a call for proposals is aimed at European companies whose activities contribute to the attainment of the above objectives, and in particular to European independent audiovisual production companies which have been legally constituted for at least 12 months prior to the submission date and that can demonstrate a recent success.
Applications from legal entities established in one of the following countries are eligible as long as all conditions referred to in Article 8 of the Regulation establishing the Creative Europe Programme are met and the Commission has entered into negotitations with the country:
- EU Member States and overseas countries and territories which are eligible to participate in the Programme pursuant to Article 58 of Council Decision 2001/822/EC;
- Acceding countries, candidate countries and potential candidates benefiting from a pre- accession strategy, in accordance with the general principles and general terms and conditions for the participation of those countries in Union programmes established in the respective Framework Agreements, Association Council Decisions or similar agreements;
- EFTA countries which are members of the EEA, in accordance with the provisions of the EEA Agreement;
- The Swiss Confederation, on the basis of a bilateral agreement to be concluded with that country;
The Programme shall also be open for bilateral or multilateral cooperation actions targeted at selected countries or regions on the basis of additional appropriations paid by, and specific arrangements to be agreed upon with, those countries or regions.
The Programme shall permit cooperation and joint actions with countries not participating in the Programme and with international organisations which are active in the cultural and creative sectors such as UNESCO, the Council of Europe, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development or the World Intellectual Property Organisation on the basis of joint contributions for the realisation of the Programme's objectives.
Proposals from applicants in non EU countries may be selected, provided that, on the date of the award decision agreements have been signed setting out the arrangements for the participation of those countries in the programme established by the Regulation referred to above.
3. ELIGIBLE ACTIONS
The development activities for the following audiovisual works are eligible:
- Feature films, animations and creative documentaries of a minimum length of 60 minutes intended primarily for cinematic release;
- Fiction projects (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 90 minutes, animation (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 24 minutes and creative documentaries (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 50 minutes intended primarily for the purposes of television;
- Fiction projects of a total duration or user experience of minimum 90 minutes, animation of a total duration or user experience of minimum 24 minutes and creative documentaries of a total duration or user experience of minimum 50 minutes intended primarily for the purposes of Digital platform exploitation. For projects presenting a user experience in a non-linear format (e.g. Virtual Reality), these minimums do not apply.
The digital platform is addressing the following types of projects: animation, creative documentaries and fiction projects intended for multiple screen-based devises, interactive projects, linear and non-linear web-series and narrative virtual reality projects.
The call for proposals has two deadlines. To be included in the 1st deadline, the application for support must be submitted and received between the date of the publication of the call for proposals and 23/11/2017, 12.00 noon (midday Brussels time). To be included in the 2nd deadline, the application for support must be submitted and received between 01/12/2017 and 19/04/2018, 12.00 noon (midday Brussels time), the date of closure of the call for proposals.
The duration of the project is until maximum 30 months from the date of submission.
4. AWARD CRITERIA
Points will be allocated out of a total of 100 on the basis of the following weighting:
Relevance and European added-value (50 points)
• Quality of the project and the potential for European distribution
Quality of the content and activities (10 points) • Quality of the development strategy
Dissemination of project results (20 points)
• The European and international distribution and marketing strategy
Organisation of the project team (10 points)
• Distribution of the roles and responsibilities of the creative team vis-à-vis the specific objectives of
the proposed action
Impact and sustainability (10 points)
• Quality of the financing strategy and feasibility potential of the project
Additional "automatic" points can be awarded for projects specifically targeted at young audience (5 extra points). This is not applicable to animation projects.
The total budget available is 5.4 €. The financial contribution awarded is a subsidy.
The maximum financial contribution which may be awarded for a Single Project is a lump sum of:
EUR 60.000 in case of animation
EUR 25.000 in case of creative documentary
EUR 50.000 in case of fiction if the estimated production budget is equal/above EUR 1.5 M
EUR 30.000 in case of fiction if the estimated production budget is below EUR 1.5 M
6. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
The deadlines for sending applications are 23/11/2017 and 19/04/2018.
Proposals must be received not later than 12.00 noon (midday Brussels time) on the relevant deadline, using the online application form (eForm).
No other method of submission of an application will be accepted.
Applicants shall ensure that all the documents requested and mentioned in the eForms are provided.
7. FULL DETAILS
The full text of the guidelines together with the application forms can be found at the following Internet address: https://eacea.ec.europa.eu/creative-europe/funding/support-for-development-single-project-2018_en Applications must comply with all the terms of the guidelines and be submitted on the eForms provided.